Featured Article of the Week

Le Comptoir Général: Hidden Nightlife in the Heart of Paris

Tuesday, July 25

Going Abroad While Abroad: How to Pack for a Short Trip



Throughout my travels, I've come to find that I generally have what I refer to as a "home base." A place where I spend the majority of my time while traveling. Usually, this place is my friend's home in France. Typically, I will start my travels in France and then work my way around Europe, occasionally returning between trips. This presents a problem because I constantly finding myself struggling with what items to take and what items to leave behind in France. I usually take cheaper airlines such as Spirit Airways or RyanAir, which are known to charge you for extra luggage and allow you only one small carry-on. This requires a bit of will power as you struggle against your most materialistic self to only pack what's absolutely necessary.

For students who are studying abroad, this can become a real struggle! So if you're a student traveling while studying abroad, taking a short trip to a far-off location, or maybe you've experienced a similar situation to my own, these tricks and packing list might help you minimize your luggage so you can maximize your next trip!

How to Minimize the Makeup

When it comes to makeup, I always have the most difficulty with packing light. However, I've managed to find some versatile makeup products over the years, which have allowed me to get away with packing a small cosmetic bag in lieu of an entire carry-on of makeup!

Foundation
Setting powder
Mascara
Powder brush: Choose a less voluminous brush so you can use it to apply setting powder, highlight, and contour with just one brush.
Foundation brush/Beauty blender: Obviously works well for applying foundation, but these tools also work for applying concealer & powder under the eyes.
Concealer: Concealer, while useful for covering up those pesky dark circles, it can also double as an eye primer before applying eyeshadow.
Liquid lipstick: A neutral liquid lipstick will go with any look and provide long-lasting coverage throughout the day.
Neutral eyeshadow palette: I emphasize the neutral part because most neutral palettes will include a very light color, which is great for highlighting, and a warm brown color, which is great for contouring.

Don't Get Weighed Down by Accessories 

If you're planning on going out, or to a nice restaurant, or meeting up with someone special, you might want to include jewelry, a purse, some heels and other accessaries in your packing list. But every girl knows the struggle of trying to pack jewelry without having to spend hours unraveling it when you arrive, and small purses on a tourist are a pick-pocket's dream. Here's a few ways I've managed to overcome these struggles while traveling.

Jewelry binder: With what I like to call "The Jewelry Binder" packing jewelry (especially necklaces) becomes less of a hassle. It has nifty little snaps that allow you lock your necklaces in place, ensuring that they stay tangle-free throughout the trip, and small pouches that allow for bracelets, earrings, rings, and more.

Crossbody wallet: The crossbody wallet is quite possibly one of the greatest inventions for the girl on the go. I always pack my crossbody wallet when I plan on having a night on the town or even if I just want to keep all of my valuable items available at hand. What's great about the these wallets is they are designed to be able to hold items ranging from your credit cards and cash to your cell phone and makeup. They typically come with a removable chain which allows it to be used as a purse for a night-out, or simply just a wallet to use throughout the day. Another advantage that these wallets possess is their zip-up feature. Having a wallet or purse that zips can prevent pick-pockets from easily accessing your personal items. It can also prevent items such as cash or even your phone from falling out while tearing up the dancefloor! Overall, it takes up barely any room and can always come in handy for a trip abroad.

Tech Talk

In today's age, it's difficult to go anywhere without the aid of technology, so it seems logical to want to pack all that's available. While I'll usually bring my laptop with me abroad in order to keep up to date with family and friends back home, I will usually leave it at my "home base" as I make my way further abroad.

In lieu of my laptop, I always bring along my iPad stocked with movies, TV shows, and eBooks (although sometimes I can't resist bringing an actual book along). A pair a headphones also goes a long way, as anyone whose traveled knows. Drown out plane chatter, play real-life background music to your adventures, and to avoid speaking to obnoxious men trying to solicit young travelers. Remember to pack a small pair of earbuds rather than a pair of bulky headphones, which will just take up unnecessary room in your luggage.

Of course, you have to bring your phone abroad, but don't forget the charger. That goes for the iPad as well. In addition to chargers, I always pack a backup battery in case I find myself without battery in the airport (this has happened before, lesson learned!). A backup battery can also be useful should you find yourself without the right plug adapter.

Sometimes when traveling, I will bring a zip up iPad case. This comes in handy, especially at the airport, as it can hold onto boarding passes, chargers, iPhone, and headphones all in one convenient location.

On-The-Go

When going abroad... abroad, chances are you'll find yourself on the move at one point or another. Whether it's exploring the city or hitting the beach, bringing along a small backpack is essential.

Personally, I prefer a drawstring bag with a securable flap. While it can be annoying to get open, it prevents thieves who target tourists from getting into your bag without having to hassle with a tangled drawstring. In larger tourist destinations like Paris or Athens, commonly known for their pickpockets, I would even go far as to tie the drawstring. You can never be too safe with your personal items abroad!

While it's impossible to predict every item you'll need while abroad, these are the items I have come to find to be the most versatile and useful throughout my traveling experiences.

Below I've attached a printable copy of my personal packing list for short trips abroad!

Abroad While Abroad Packing List

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts That Might Interest You